Who We Are and What We Do
We handle every aspect of class action litigation. We have defended more than 100 cases on behalf of major manufacturers, insurance companies, airlines, real estate developers, and financial services firms in 31 states. In short, for our clients, we go where the trouble is.
Class actions are fought over a variety of procedural matters. We have won dismissals and defeated class certification motions in many of these class actions. We also have successfully litigated other key pre-trial issues.
We aim to win early dismissals of class actions. When appropriate, we work with our clients to fashion creative settlements. The settlement process is enhanced by our reputation for and willingness to take cases to trial.
We are a team of class action specialists. Over three decades of practice, we have watched as class actions evolved from an infrequent litigation technique to a pervasive mechanism that has steadily increased the stakes of disputes. We have been part of that evolution, one that has produced significant changes in both federal and state court procedures. Staying on top of those developments and turning them to the advantage of our clients, is one of our signature strengths.
But we’re more than master procedural tacticians. We’re also trial lawyers who, from the beginning of a matter, prepare with an eye toward presenting our case to a jury. Our remarkable bench strength includes six former federal prosecutors. Collectively, our partners have tried more than 200 cases to verdict. From the start of every matter, we prepare to go to trial.
Our Approach and Results
We work for and with our clients. At the beginning of each matter, we establish the outcomes our clients seek, their tolerance for risk, and the costs they can handle. We offer a wide variety of billing arrangements, including hourly fees and many varieties of alternative fee structures. We believe in designing litigation budgets and meeting them. We make every effort not to surprise our clients. In every matter, we emphasize efficiency and effectiveness.
We want to help our clients avoid getting sued. We work with our clients across industry sectors—from manufacturing, consumer products, and technology companies to major insurers—to assess their exposure to liability and recommend solutions. When claims are filed, we provide our clients with an early and realistic assessment of their legal risk, and how the matter might impact their broader business goals and conditions. We work with our clients to develop a strategy and path forward that best meets their needs and objectives.
We seek to narrow the claims, limit the burdens and intrusions of the discovery process, and defeat the certification of the class itself. But even as we seek pre-trial dismissals, we prepare to try our cases. Our focus on being trial-ready often pays a dividend. As we master the facts of a case, we may discover serious flaws in the allegations, which enable us to win an early resolution on the merits.
We deliver value to our clients and align our pricing mechanism with our clients’ business needs and expectations. Our partners become fully invested in each matter because effective advocacy is a hands-on venture and we believe that lean litigation teams can deliver great results in a much more cost-effective way.
- Defended a national insurance company against class actions in over ten states challenging methods of adjusting cash value property damage claims.
- Won summary judgments for a Fortune 100 Company in nine class actions. All that were challenged on appeal have been upheld.
- Successfully settled, at low cost, national class action alleging false advertising against consumer manufacturer.
- Accomplished striking of class allegations in a nationwide class action challenging insurer’s underwriting practices.
- Won summary judgment on a merits motion on behalf of an airline facing a class action challenge to a valuable frequent flyer program.
- Successfully negotiated a class settlement and resolved a series of wrongful death actions related to allegations of contamination from a manufacturing plant.
- Quietly resolved a nationwide consumer class action that alleged damage caused by a cosmetic product. The resolution gave relief to customers and preserved the reputation of the brand.